Monday, October 6, 2008

In the kitchen


Drying basil


I've been spending a lot of time in my kitchen over the past few weeks baking, cooking, etc. I'm trying to figure out new recipes kind of put some new life into my boring menu. Today I found a recipe online for biscuits that were so easy I thought I would share them. I also went out and cut some basil out of the garden and have it in our food dehydrator, hope it dries well. Don and my thoughts and prayers have been like I've said recently to live somewhere away from civilization where we can live off the land and only have to make one trip a month into a city for supplies, etc. So with that in mind I realized I can do that right here in our little subdivision, maybe not to the degree you could other places but I have been canning this year freezing, and drying a lot of things in the garden and things we've picked other places. I am trying to learn to make a lot more things from scratch, one reason is to make things more affordable and also to try and be more healthy and as organic as we can. I feel like I'm becoming a granola, I live in Oregon, I am fanatical about recycling, I garden, we homeschool, the kids and I try to walk as many places as possible, we do most of our eating at home which consists of as much from scratch foods as I can figure out how to make. I am not a tree hugger and have given up my Birkenstocks for Crocs and Danskos so don't know how that fits in, haha. I was reading a blog this morning where someone was talking about giving up breakfast cereals and trying to do something more affordable and definetly healthier so I'll be working on that my only ideas so far are pancakes, waffles, biscuits, oatmeal, eggs and toast but beyond that I'm stuck, any ideas would be great, I know it will be more work but the kids will help, they love doing that thank goodness. Okay I've droned on enough on to the recipe:
2 cups self rising flour, I made my own 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons crisco
1 cup milk
Combine flour and crisco, add milk stirring until sticky. Knead out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out 1/2 thick, cut out place on a lightly greased cookie sheet Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes.

1 comment:

Angelina said...

Hey Heather,
Liked your blog. We are getting pretty granola too..we recycle as much as possible, use cloth grocery bags, are about 80% organic foods, and drive a hybrid camry. Hehehe. we would like to build a green home in about 3 years. Anyway...breakfast... I have a wonderful recipe for oatmeal pancakes...will mail it to you. i also have a few other recipes from some b and b's we have gone too. will email them too. my email is angelina.littrell@gmail.com. send me yours. :o)